Thursday, September 5, 2013

Farm Update


The chicken is in the house!!  Although we have already sold a bunch of our fresh chicken there is still plenty more to be had.  We will start putting what's left in the freezer Saturday morning. Many of the largest wholes and cut ups have been sold, but we still have plenty of whole birds from 2.5 to 4.5 pounds and cut ups from 1.7 to 3.7 pounds.  We also have chicken livers and hearts packaged in one pound bags.  For you folks that like to make your own stock we have some backs and feet as well.  I want to apologize to the customers that came in around noon Wednesday to pick up their birds and they weren't here yet.  They were ready for pick up a little later than noon and I had forgotten I had a dentist appointment at one.  As anyone in his right mind would have, I seriously considered cancelling the dental appointment on the count of I had to pick up 117 chickens.  I can hear the conversation now..."um hi it's Steve Rouse.  I have an appointment in an hour.  Um, I'm going to have to postpone it.  I have chickens I have to pick up that are, um bagged and ready.  I mean, they're dead and ready.  I mean they were alive and not ready, but now, oh never mind, see you at one."  Plus I got thinking, do I really want to upset a guy who attacks your mouth with a drill and an assortment of sharp instruments?

Tomatoes are slowing down, but surprisingly enough, the heirlooms, cherokee purples and brandywines seem to be holding on a little better than the standard big beefs.  Squash is all but done, but our fall squash and cucumber experiment is coming along nicely.  They are all up and the warmer weather has been their friend.  We do have to say, however, that many of the other fall crops are having a hard time because we have had no rain since they have been planted.  We have been watering, but it's not the same as rain water for the plants.

We are doing our first taste test of this year's sweet potatoes tonight.  If they taste sweet, we will have them available this weekend.  If not, will wait another week and taste test again.


This week's bounty:

Sweet Corn
Tomatoes
Garlic
Beets
Chicken
Eggs
Local Raw Honey
Red Potatoes
Basil
Green Beans (Picking Saturday Morning)
Arugula




 

See you soon! Remember Fall hours are Wednesday through Sunday 10-6

Locally yours,
Vicky and Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment