Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Farm Update

Down on the Farm

We were hoping for rain and we have been getting some beautiful rains.  Last night I thought the whole farm may wash away with the black sky I saw coming, but it ended up to be a pretty nice 2 inch rain.

The chicken run where the massacre took place last week has been fortified mightily and has now been named "Fort Chix".  The whole horrible scenario ended on a bit of a humorous note.  I placed the "Have a Heart" trap near the run, in hopes of enticing thee varmint or at least a varmint in, so it could be moved to a far away location. The trap was set a couple of mornings ago and later that day, as I walked into the area, I could see from a distance that the trap's door was shut.  "Aha," I yelled, and quickly walked towards the trap.  As I got closer I slowed my pace, cautiously approached the trap, came from behind and peaked in.  There was definitely something in the trap.  Maybe our troubles were over!  I looked closer and I had trapped.......a chicken.  One of the ranging chickens from another area of the back barn lot had wandered over and stumbled into the trap.

This week in the market we have:

Garlic Scapes - yummy recipes available at the market
Cabbage
Zesty Greens Mix
Spinach
Spring Onions
Mild Salad Mix
Swiss Chard
Red Russian Kale
Heads of leaf lettuce
Collards

See you down on the farm.


Vicky and Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment