Sunday, March 14, 2010

Boy, it's wet!

Well, there's good news and bad news....first the good news, all the snow is finally gone.  Now the bad news, it's rained over two inches today into a ground that just absorbed four feet of melting snow.  Yea, it's saturated.  We do have many plants started inside, that's good news!  I should be direct seeding a few things in a few days, don't see it happening, that's the bad news.  So we work inside.  Worked on a new chicken coop in the new barn so I can split up the flock.  The purpose is to give them more ground to range on.  Built a small area in the old barn for the broilers.  They'll be coming April 7. 

Noticed some erosion happening in one of the fields today with all the rain.  Guess what, it was the one field I didn't get a cover crop on last fall.  That won't happen again.

I have a friend who always plants his potatoes on St. Patrick's Day.  I've always waited a little longer to get them in the ground, but I was thinking maybe this year I would try a few that early.  I'm  not sure that's going to be possible.  A good sign that it's wet and muddy is when you're walking along and the next thing you know, you took a step, but your boot stayed in the mud behind you.  I'm glad no one was taking any video of that dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment