Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Week 11

Hi Everyone,

Wait until you taste the cantaloupe. Wait until you taste the honeydews. Wait until you taste the watermelons. There really good, if I do say so myself. Along with the cantaloupes and honeydews we have two types of watermelon this week, the sugar babies and the rattlesnakes. The sugar babies are round and weigh in at around 8 pounds, the rattlesnake are the big oblong melons and one we weighed hit the scale at 25 pounds! Out of the four items, you pick two. We will have melons for at least three weeks, hopefully longer. We got a very needed bit of rain tonight, whack will help to keep the dust down this week as we clear out some garden areas and get them ready to plant the fall crops next week. Hard to believe that we are planting the fall stuff already!

Also please note.......I've decided not to go away the week of the 15th, so you will have a pick up on the 17th. I repeat...there will be a pick up on the 17th. I just couldn't bring myself to miss you guys for a week and....I couldn't bring myself to just let the veggies hang in the field for a whole week and not be around to take care of them. Vicky will go and hopefully I can join her for a couple of days. So now you get 24 weeks instead of the promised 23. 23 never sounded right to me anyway.

Great news for some, this will be the last week for beets for awhile! Also this week, you may see some yellow wax beans mixed in with your green beans and you might even have some purple string beans (that turn green when cooked) in the mix as well. Don't be frightened there all just bush beans with a similar taste.

I just heard on the news that July was the hottest month on record ever here. An average 24 hour a day temp all month of 81. A few things, that I had hoped would pull through didn't, the onions are way smaller than last year because of the heat, but all in all I think things did pretty okay considering.

We will have corn Wednesday and every Wednesday through Friday for the rest of the corn season. Remember I won't have the corn back here until 9am.

Our thanks to Vicki Franz and Rae Hamilton from the Arrive Magazine for the nice article they did on the farm in the August issue.

So to summarize.....melons yummy, fall planting soon, not missing a week of pick up, weird colored beans, July hottest ever, corn on Wednesday and beets on hiatus.

This week:

Tomatoes
Basil
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Honeydew
Potatoes
Carrots
Onions
Swiss Chard
Beets
Beans
Hot peppers
Cucumbers

See you Wednesday

Steve and Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment