Thursday, June 12, 2014

Farm Update

Here's what's happening down on the farm.


Wow, what a soggy week! Sloshing around this week I noticed a couple of things. 1..Things were really starting to take off in the fields. Potatoes, tomatoes, beans, greens etc. And 2.. Our honey bees were missing pollinating the squash flowers all together. I felt that since I single handedly pollinated the squash myself last year, the bees felt that they may not be up to the pollinating standards that I achieved. As I was pontificating on the subject, Vicky said that she would help pollinate if she didn't have to listen to any more "of this!". Well, she ended up doing all the pollination and must have done a great job because we may have some yellow squash and zucchini for the weekend. She asked why I hadn't helped with the pollination this year and I told her years ago I could pollinate 15, 20 or 30 plants at a time, now after one or two I feel like I need a nap.

Available at the farm:
Summer squash
Zucchini
Kale
Leaf lettuce (variety)
Iceberg Lettuce
Radishes
Spring onions
Strawberries(call first)
Sugar Snap Peas
Honey
Eggs

We are looking for a couple of things: Growers of organic produce and workers.

Demand is growing all the time for clean, healthy, organic produce. We would love to have a group of community folks contributing to the farm. Let's us know if you're interested.

We are also looking for people to help around the farm. Looking for: Bright eyed, bushy-tailed, self-starter, eager-beaver, situationally aware, go-get-‘em, teachable, positive, non-complaining, grateful, rejoicing, get’erdone, dependable, faithful, perseverant, and take responsibility types of individuals. With an interest in organic farming, self sufficiency and sustainability. Could be field work. Could be work in the market.

Check out our face book page for "Pet of the Week"

Hours:  Tuesday-Sunday 10-7.  Open at 8am Saturday.  Closed Monday









Locally Yours,
Vicky and Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment