Thursday, July 31, 2014

Farm Update

Down on the Farm


As many of you know, last year we had a heck of a time with raccoons. I trapped 5, over the course of a few nights, in our "catch and release" trap. It seemed to end the problem and we have had no signs of raccoon carnage on the chickens this year. We have, however, had problems with a great horned owl that has been doing some chicken hunting at dusk before the chickens are closed up for the night. It's a beautiful bird with a huge wing span, but inflicts instant death on his or her chicken of choice. I decided to try the trap on the owl. I grabbed the trap from the barn, stumbled into the edge of the forest where the coop is, put in my bait (remnants of a prior owl attack), set the trap and waited for action. After the first night..nothing. After the second night....nothing. Checking the trap on the third morning, I could tell the trap door was shut as I approached. I thought,"Wow I got 'em!" I could see something moving in the trap as I got closer. My heart pounded with anticipation. I was at the trap, I looked down and I had trapped.....a chicken!! I couldn't believe it! Apparently a chicken had made it's way into the trap the prior evening and spent the night behind bars. I figured, well at least she was safe from the owl.

Tomatoes are finally coming!! A few are ripening everyday. Mostly Heirlooms at the moment. The good news is we have some tomatoes in the market! Along with the tomatoes you will find:

Sweet white onions
Red onions
Sweet corn
Red potatoes
White potatoes
Prairie Blush potatoes (our favorite-a cross between a red and yukon gold)
Cucumbers
Beets
Green peppers
Hungarian Hot Wax peppers( more like a banana pepper now, will get hotter as it matures)
Turnips
Radishes
Egg Plant
Summer squash
Garlic
Jalapeno peppers
Chicken
Eggs
Honey


We have our fresh chicken in the cooler through Saturday. We also have some frozen thighs, wings and drumsticks available.









Locally Yours,
Vicky and Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment